Monday, October 30, 2017

Expectation vs Experience

Like how nothing prepares us for that face of ours in our Voter's Id, or a joke that falls flat - the experience is always different from our expectations. Here's a few of mine.


1. Boating at Ooty:

      We were honeymooning at Ooty and DH, the new groom, hired a 8 seater boat for just the two of us. "Privacy," he said. There was a long queue and as we get into our boat a little boy demanded, 'It's just the two of you, take us along.'' His grandmother loudly chided him. ''Hush, they are on honeymoon, they'll want their privacy.'' Everyone congratulated us and asked where we were from, when we had got married, advised us on how many kids we should have, and when. When they were arguing among themselves if it's better for a woman to work or be a stay-at-home mother, the boat started to move. But a very private ride it was, with passers-by in boats smiling and waving at us throughout the ride. Could that be 'Karma'?



2. Hello!

      Two weeks after our wedding, we moved to Dubai. Chruch service here is on Fridays, and on the day before, I took out my new pattu sari, my gold ornaments, and all my accessories. I was going to the Tamil church for the first time after marriage, in a new country. As we got ready for bed, Andrew asked if I had my introduction ready. "Huh?" I asked. "Oh, no!" He said. "I totally forgot. You need to step up to the front, and introduce yourself on your first day. In Tamil, like the pastors speak." I couldn't sleep all night, mentally preparing a speech. I was sitting on pins all through the service the next day, and then the pastor said, "Anyone new for the service today, please stand up." I did, wondering how I'd get past all the people in the pew, and looked desperately at my moral support for help.

"We welcome you, and hope you will actively participate in all Church activities."

"After service, there will be the Youth meeting..." continued the Pastor, while everyone looked amused at my still standing form. "Please be seated," he said turning to me. It was then that I saw Andrew silently shaking with laughter, laughing so hard there were tears in his eyes. Or maybe they were real tears, I had on my 3 inch pointed heels.

3. Sibling love:



The kids have two train shaped Ride-on toys which they fight over for. The other day, Ryan was playing rough with one of them, galloping on it, like on a horse, when Liana said, "No, Ryan. The floor will break and you will fall in." I was thinking, 'Trust her to look after her little brother,' when she added, "There will be only one train after that, and that will be mine."

Hope you all have a wonderful day, reliving your expectation vs experience moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vidya.david@gmail.com