Sunday, November 12, 2017

Kokkarakko

      As a kid, I was always curious if an English cock really crowed 'cock-a-doodle doo!' Cocks from where I come from, go 'Kokkarakko'. And one such fine fellow is who I write about today.

      Not a live one, I am afraid. Being a foodie, my first thoughts turn to spicy grilled chicken with Kubbos and onion rings, or  a plate of '65' with mint chutney, or our good, old 'Drums of heaven'.

      10 years ago, I had the bestest (Superlative, mine!) plate of chicken Biriyani in a restaurant in Bengaluru. It was when it was still Bangalore. My friends and I were visiting the city, and after a long day filled with management talk, looked around for a place to dine. Being so late, every eatery was closing up, but finally, this one restaurant looked inviting with bright lights. Being too exhausted to talk, we all sat around the table, after ordering Hyderabadi Chicken Biriyani and soft drinks. One full decade later, I still remember how it had tasted then - Absolutely Divine! Spicy as hell ... it was perfect. I floated away on my own personal blissful cloud. We went back again the next day. And as the short visit came to an end, I boarded the return train with pleasant memories. Going back for a plate of that biriyani was on my top to-do list.

      But it was 10 full years before I stepped on a train, to visit that unforgettable city. This summer vacation, we wanted to give the kids a taste of our railways. With the excitement of being with friends and family, was the happiness of getting closer to that plate of perfection.

      But, to my dismay, we couldn't locate the place. After all these years, it was probably closed. One of the biggest attractions of the city had ended in a major disappointment.

      Well, short vacation - no time to brood. I moved on to the next best thing - Shopping. Its true. There's nothing like shopping to cheer up a girl. We were at Phoenix Mall, and as shopping is so hunger triggering we went to the food court.

      One of the first joints there was an Andhra restaurant called 'Nagas'. I ordered a Hyderabadi Chicken Biriyani Combo. Back at our table, I took a bite of the food, and 'Mmm! Delicious, with a capital 'D'. It was the same, spice punched flavor as I remember from  the old place. Though I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who cannot tolerate high level spice, it a must try for spice lovers. That, and a bottle of Lipon Iced Tea was like Manna from heaven.

      Thus ended my search for the perfect hyderabadi chicken biriyani. Long live the chef!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Vidya.david@gmail.com